Smart Phone Getting too Big for your Pocket? This Just Might be the Solution.

   I was scrolling through a couple of the websites looking for articles that I found interesting and I came across this one. I thought it was really cool since I hadn't heard anything about the foldable phones and I don't even know if they would really work. 
   Three takeaways I took from this article were that they originally first debuted this product in 2013, saying that it was likely to come out in 2014, but the time never came. Also that there are other competitors who are much farther along than Samsung seem to be. And finally, that they haven't really been putting too much marketing effort into the launch, and that it is mostly running on rumours. Which can be good in some cases. I feel like word of mouth marketing in this situation would be very important because otherwise, not many people would want to really buy this phone. It seems weird, but if enough people started talking about it I feel like it could go viral one way or the other, either really good and awesome or just straight to the trash. I would say the way they are marketing isn't really new, especially because they just keep hinting at the launch every year without really giving us a product. 
   Samsung is marketing to 'go-getters' as their site says. They want people who are not going to just take the easy and basic way out (i.e. an Apple iPhone) and are targeting people who are looking to go for a more streamlined look. Everything about them, from their colour scheme to their font, to the words they speak for their product launches, seem very carefully chosen to show elegance and sleekness. 
   If I was on this marketing team I would try to make the product launch bigger and more widely known. They have been teasing this for years now and I think it's important to tell people that it is in fact really coming out (if it really is). Maybe something along the lines of this: 
   'Ever tried to put your phone in your pocket, but found that it wouldn't quite fit? Ladies I'm looking at you. Well, now Samsung is rumoured to be creating a foldable phone by 2019. Yes, it has been rumoured for years (see video below of a 2014 prototype) but now they seem to be serious. Smartphone technology has been evolving rapidly over the past decade but recently it has been taking some serious steps towards the future.'
   In the end I feel like I learned that its not in the best interest of the company to push a launch of a product that is not even close to being ready, as we can see when it came to the 2014 rumors. Nothing really happened with those, and since then we have been promised this phone over and over again with nothing to show for any of it. 

   

Comments

Popular Posts